Women can style their look in myriad ways, but men have limited options. But try experimenting with the beard -- a style statement that's emerging as a big trend. Styling your beard.
From getting the trimming right to maintaining the perfect shape, one can get a perfect beard quite easily -- but with a dash of patience, preparation and care, says celebrity hairstylist Asgar Saboo, who has styled Bollywood actor Hrithik Roshan and top models including Cindy Crawford.
* Timing is key: There is a time when you first start to grow your beard where the hair are emerging rather unevenly and you are not left with the most attractive of looks. The best option would be to use an electric shaver to trim the longer patches of your beard, so that you are left with an even length across your face. This will slow down the growth of the beard; however, it will improve overall appearance throughout the first few weeks.
* Style: Throughout the year, beards have bloomed in popularity. Celebrities including George Clooney, Ben Affleck and Jake Gyllenhall have all showcased various styles of beards. Make sure your beard compliments the shape of your face before styling it as not everyone can pull off the rugged Tom Hardy bearded look!
Best beard styles
- Square: Men with square faces should opt for styles that make their faces appear less box-like and more slender. The best style for this facial shape is a light but all-over beard; this will mean you are constantly trimming your beard with your electric shaver to ensure it stays a suitable length.
- Round: In order to add shape to the face, it is important to ensure the length of the hair on your chin is longer than the sides. Try to avoid bushy sideburns and keep the sides of the beard short.
- Triangular: Men with triangular-shaped faces tend to have very pointed chins. Having a longer, fuller beard will make these faces appear more masculine by adding weight along the jaw line and chin.
* Maintenance: For those of you that have never grown a beard, it is vital to remember to keep it clean. Use a fine-toothed comb to keep your beard smooth and free from tangles. Don't forget to use shampoo and conditioner on your beard as its length increases. This will keep it clean and stop the beard smelling like damp hair.
* Trimming: To keep a neat look, it is important to trim your neckline, upper cheeks and moustache lip. Men will usually trim their beard too much; this will lead to mistakes being made and shaving off the whole beard. Wait at least a month before you begin trimming as you are simply trying to shape the beard, not remove it.